Saturday, March 31, 2012

The Cost Of Being A Vegetarian

Change for the better?
A vegetarian diet is the consumption of plant-based foods, which may or may not include dairy products or eggs, but excludes meat - like seafood, poultry, and mainly red meat. My wife has been on a vegetarian diet for about 3 1/2 years going strong. Her lifestyle has affected my change, but our reasons for going green differ. For us both, we are making a personal statement to the world; for me it's cutting costs globally, but for her it's the ethical and environmental concerns.

Am I a 'Tree Hugger'?
I don't go around hugging trees, but I do believe knowledge of ecology and its applications will lead to a sustainable economy. It has been over 2 months now since I started this type of dieting; seeing how it is absorbed into and supports my set of daily precepts. Fitness, the Golden Rule, temperance are just a few of my self-regulating laws I live by to control my thoughts and behavior. My Christian background has shaped my belief system and is the main reason why I adhere to the principle of stewardship.

What's the cost?
Since my wife and I are vegetarians we've noticed the cost-saving benefits of a healthy diet. Here are the 7-key contributing factors to attribute to our savings on food:
  • Eating out reduced to the bare minimum, sometimes zero for a month.
  • No meat consumption!
  • Significant reduction in the consumption of processed food.
  • Sticking to the list!
  • Snacking on fruits or homemade snacks
  • Drinking water - no sodas, no sugary/sugar-free drinks, no bottled juices (only homemade smoothies).
  • Planning our meals.
A typical grocery list for a couple would conservatively be $220 to last for 2 weeks. My wife and I spend typically $150 on groceries to sustain us for 2 weeks.

What's my statement to the world?
A grand reduction in meat consumption will solve a lot of issues the Earth faces and will give rise to a sustainable global economy. Issues such as global warming, deforestation, public health, energy consumption, drinking water supply, waste disposal, etc. are items that will be affected positively if the Earth's population greatly reduces its meat consumption. A significant portion of land used to grow crops for livestock in the U.S. towers over 56 million acres. The mere 4 million acres of land set aside for crops, intended for human consumption, makes me ask: Is this economically sustainable? Take a look at the EPA.gov site for statistics in regards to land use for crops. I can picture a lot of land being freed up to be used for other more sustainable purposes.

The Final Outcome
To conclude, I continually encourage myself to be consciously aware about the things I do on a daily basis. I question what can be done to make a difference, regardless of how small it may seem. The hope for a better world and a stable global economy is the cost I will continue to gladly pay for being a vegetarian.

No comments:

Post a Comment